Our engineering & product development know how covers innovative concept generation, detailed design, iteration, testing, integration and qualification of hardware during the entire project life cycle. Equally importantly, strict project management procedures and quality accreditations have allowed Magna Parva to gain the confidence of national and international agencies. Our close relationships with researchers and academic institutions is a result of our ability to work at the earliest stages of an idea and see it through to reality.
Magna Parva deliver Space engineering services, bringing significant heritage within R&D and flight missions such as ExoMars, BepiColombo & MetOpSG. Covering a wide range of engineering disciplines and experienced in flight mechanical, structural & mechanisms hardware delivery we can deliver step change in capability for comms, science and exploration missions.
Typical engineering services include:
- Establishing applicable (instrument, system, ECSS) requirements, e.g. envelope, mass budget, mechanical and thermal environments, etc.
- Performing structural design, including:
- Material and coating selection
- Manufacturability, assembly, integration and test (MAIT) considerations
- Performance estimations for joints, structures and components based upon limiting load cases
- Performing thermal design, including:
- Identification of thermally critical regions/components
- Definition of heat transfer paths via selection of material, geometry and configuration
- Joint calculations and thermal compensation for materials of different CTE
- Characterizing structural and thermal performance for all load cases
- Structurally representative models/meshes, simplified for optimum speed and accuracy of analysis
- Structural cases analysed in MSC Patran/Nastran
- Thermal cases analysed in ESATAN-TMS
- Thermo-structural behaviour analysed in MSC Patran/Nastran with temperature input from ESATAN-TMS
- Optimizing the design for mass, performance, requirement compliance, etc., based upon analysis results
- Designing and delivering correlation test campaigns
- Output of TMM, RTMM, GMM, RGMM models etc. as required by the customer
- Flight Product Assurance
Our services are delivered from our concept to production facilities that include design and analysis offices, laboratories, temperature controlled CMM metrology room, clean room Cat 7, environmental test chambers, micro-crack propagation inspection facility.
Demanding requirements in this sector are still expanding, with more and more sophisticated equipment expected to operate precisely and reliably in high temperatures, dusty conditions and at extremes of humidity and vibration. Our stringent project management procedures and quality accreditations are essential
to the achievement of complete customer satisfaction. Magna Parva has developed the ultra-lightweight R3 Restraint and Release Mechanism which can be used to deploy UAV payloads. The design offers a long list of impressive features including high reliability, low mass and very low power operation.
This increasingly important sector includes energy generation, storage, oil and gas exploration and decommissioning. It often includes the need to operate in hostile environments making our specialisation in hostile environment engineering an ideal match. A 3-axis fully interpolated laser welding booth was designed and built for the Nuclear Industry. From an end user viewpoint, a major global manufacturer asked us to look at ways to reduce the amount of material and energy used in beverage can manufacture. The result: a 12% saving in material costs, and additional environmental benefits.
Instrumentation and experiments for science are by their very nature innovative and are developed and built in the presence of much uncertainty. Magna Parva collates requirements and understands the scientific intent prior to embarking on developments that may see extreme levels of challenge and change. The behaviour, performance and integration difficulties of fundamental and particle physics experiments such as CLOVER and MICE are being addressed for the first time. The whole team share the implications of each design decision and test result with an eye to the ultimate prize – a new insight into the way the Universe works.